Company: City of North Las Vegas
POSITION TITLE: Facilities Technician
Department: Public Works Building Maintenance
Performs skilled work of considerable difficulty in the installation, maintenance, and repair of a variety of heating, boilers, air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment and associated systems. Performs skilled work in other building maintenance skilled trades of electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and painting.
Performs skilled and semi-skilled work in building maintenance duties using a variety of hand tools, power tools, and related equipment. Performs at a journey level in all of the skilled trade areas of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. Performs semi-skilled repairs in the areas of locksmith, carpentry, painting, roof repair, as well as various other trades. May supervise subordinate crew members.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following)
- Performs new construction and repairs to the interior and exterior of buildings; repairs doors, floors, walls, windows and related fixtures.
- Performs various repairs on heating and cooling systems, appliances, lighting systems, outlets; repairs and installs electrical circuits; repairs and maintains generators and motors, repairs and installs plumbing systems.
- Installs and repairs plumbing related equipment such as bathtubs, sinks, drains, water coolers, and toilets; runs water and sewer lines.
- Repairs and makes adjustments to machines and equipment. Performs scheduled preventive maintenance on machines and equipment.
- Performs manual labor tasks requiring a working knowledge of specialized tools, equipment, and/or materials.
- Disassembles machinery and equipment.
- Sands and prepares surfaces for painting and patches. Light carpentry repairs as needed.
- Performs major repair and routine maintenance on all sizes and types of air conditioning, refrigeration, chillers, boilers, heat pump systems, and associated equipment.
- Reads blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams, and technical manuals.
- Troubleshoots, adjusts, calibrates, repairs, and replaces electronic, electrical, mechanical, and control systems devices.
- Removes, disassembles, and overhauls major components, e.g., compressors, electric motors, controls, fans, blowers, pumps, valves, piping, etc.
- Installs new HVAC units and systems, as well as duct work.
- Responds to calls for emergency repair.
- Receives and reviews work orders/requests to determine requirements.
- Plans and schedules job accomplishment.
- Estimates costs and man-hour requirements.
- May maintain inventory of parts and supplies, reordering as necessary.
- Prepares work area prior to beginning job, and cleans area after completion of job.
- Requisitions and/or purchases supplies and materials.
- Performs prescribed maintenance checks as scheduled.
- Maintains shop equipment.
- Maintains various activity records and logs.
- Maintenance and repair on fire panels and associated systems.
- Performs journeyman level work in electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
- Supervises and coordinates work crews and outside contractors.
- Repairs, installs, and maintains locks, locking systems, and associated hardware.
- May serve as safety coordinator.
- Participates in the design, layout and installation of office, public facility, shop, plant and other remodeling, repair or modification projects affecting buildings and facilities; takes measurements; prepares working drawings and sketches; assists in preparing project specifications.
- Estimates materials, parts, tools and equipment needed for work assignments; orders and picks up materials and supplies from outside vendors as appropriate; prepares cost estimates for job.
- Performs skilled electrical work such as the installation of wire, conduit, outlets, fixtures, switches, appliances, timers, alarm systems, lighting systems, appliances, and other elements of office or public facilities.
- Performs skilled plant electrical work such as the installation of motors, pumps, generators, control systems, auxiliary power systems, data information systems, HVAC systems and similar major installations in plant and public facilities. Inspects and performs preventive maintenance on systems and equipment; tests emergency power, lighting, alarm and other backup systems to ensure ongoing usage.
- Tests and troubleshoots electrical and electronic components, repairs or orders and replaces components, rewires systems, and tests equipment prior to placing back into service.
- Ensures that proper safety procedures are followed, particularly around energized circuits.
- Drives City vehicles to work sites and transports materials and assistants as required; may work from lift trucks, ladders and other elevating devices.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Stand-by and call back are required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Additional vocational or technical training in air conditioning, electrical, and plumbing trades.
- Prefer completion of apprenticeship in one of the building trades or completion of a building trades certificate from a community college or applicable military certifications.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible experience performing facility maintenance work in the specialty areas of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
- Equivalency: Eight years of progressively responsible experience performing repairs and installation of HVAC/refrigeration, electrical, and plumbing may be substituted for the education and experience required above.
Licenses and Certifications:
- EPA Refrigerant Handling Certification at time of hire/reclassification.
- Respirator certification within six months of hire/reclassification.
- Sixteen hours O & M asbestos training required within six months of hire/reclassification and annually thereafter.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record and ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver’s license within required time frame.
- Must obtain a Clark County NEC certification within a year of hire date.
- Must obtain an F card certification within a year of hire date.
- Use of power and hand tools and any equipment and machinery of the specialty area.
- Planning and accomplishing assigned jobs.
- Performing work at a journey level in all three of the skilled trades of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC.
- Performing general maintenance activities.
- Read and understand designs, sketches, blueprints, wiring diagrams, operating and repair instructions and manuals.
- Ability to estimate and design specific projects.
- Ability to comply with all safety rules and regulations.
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-20
- Minimum Salary: 27.72
- Maximum Salary: 46.74
- Pay Basis: HOURLY
Click here to apply with the City of North Las Vegas